Those Were The Days, My Friends

March 24th, 2014

I don't know about you, but I am having a very difficult time dealing with reality in the world today. Reality of life in this day and age and what my children and myself are heading into. From what I see, I don't like it. Either I am in for a serious rude awakening or I better do something to change it. Or then again, if I do change it, will it reflect a negative in our future? I just don't know anymore.

Every single day, I go back for a minute and reflect on my youth. Life was easy and wonderful then. Now I compare it to what I see in my boys. I see my 17 year old with his first cell phone, going to school and working. My 13 year old consumed with so much technology, I have to text him to see how he is doing. I mean really? Hopefully he'll grow up and be a graphic designer. Then my two youngest boys, ages 11 and 8. What a complete headache! And you know what's causing that headache? It's called a PS3. If you are reading this and have never bought one, please don't do it! It's a game system where they play with anyone in the world, along with headphones, speakers, and a remote glued to their body. That alone has consumed my temper. And stupid me, I continue to allow it. I have gone to work, come back, and I swear to God, that same child was on it when I left! And with all of the fighting with 4 boys and one PS3, do you know how many times I have threatened to take it away? I do it on occasion, yes, but really, not often enough. I just let it continue to rule our lives. I keep telling myself that one of these days I have to "accidentally" pour something on it and say, "Oops!"

So last night, my sister Mary and I got to talking about all the stuff we did as a kid, let alone what stuff we didn't have as a kid. I grew up in a large family, youngest of five. Three brothers,one sister,and myself. (They call me Nettie by the way). And thinking back, we were everywhere but in the house.

After school and weekends, we were ALWAYS outside. We left in the morning and never came back until dinner. We rode our bikes with no helmets and rode our horses bareback with no shoes. We did whatever we felt like doing, never having to check in. And being the youngest, I was pretty much on my own. I think my independence then, has alot to do with my independence now.

Outside we were, everyday, every waking moment. Winter, spring, summer, and fall. We were in sports at school, we joined the ski team every summer, and built igloos and forts in the winter. I still remember that red rectangular block to form our igloos. The fun was endless, and the amount of friends we have gained to this day is priceless. Great times, great memories.

Thinking back even more, I remember riding around with my parents in our station-wagon. When I was 5 or so, I clearly remember eating Twinkies and standing in the front seat between my parents. I never sat down, I never heard of a seat belt, and I climbed over seats enjoying life without a care in the world.

So as Mary and I continued to reminiscence, we also laughed about the channels we had on TV compared to the hundreds we have now. In Wisconsin, we had only three channels to watch. Channels, 7,9, and 13. Of course, all TV's had to be turned on by hand and channels changed by hand as well. Can you imagine now if the kids had to actually get off the couch and have to change a channel? God forbid!
The phones too. We had that dial phone. Then that day came when we got that new touch button phone.
Life was grand! It was such an awesome change! Now look at us, smartphones have consumed our lives. But I will admit, at the age of 45, I have only had my smartphone for a year. I was bound to never do it, but now I am bound to never give it up!

Back then, there were no worries of having to call friends first before coming over. We just showed up, hung out, and played some more. Parents back then weren't so caught up in life as they are now. And now, don't we all panic when the doorbell rings? "Oh no, who could that be?"

I do keep my kids busy with sports and activities, but I am always having to be with them. Letting them go on their bikes and not returning until dinner is simply not going to happen! I am overprotective, but who isn't now days? It is what it is. The world is a different place and who knows what our future holds. Yes, time will tell, but really, I can't say I am looking forward to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire and Fury-AI to AI

Turkey Turds and Rainwater

Humble Beginnings