All Fired Up!

Well, I can start by saying, I am a bit set back by the recent events over the newly merged fire districts and what I thought was a clear and concise vote, right down to the very end.  Now I’m all fired up!

All of last year, both Big Corkscrew Island Fire District and North Naples Fire District went ahead on working at bringing the residents of both of these districts together for consolidation.  A vote which was was passed by over 70% of voters years prior.  Yes, both districts had their work cut out for them and they showed their true colors throughout all of last year.  I truly commend them for putting up with all those stressful meetings and personalities that went with it.

Pure exhaustion!
Picture 2
All of last year, it seemed as though we had meeting after meeting after meeting to merge both these districts into the one.  And as of November 4th, 2014, it was successfully voted on and passed.  A great accomplishment by far.  And of course, bringing back some great memories of running for Fire Commission was a wonderful experience.  I lost, but sure learned a whole lot!  Whew!

Okay, so back to the fire merger.  As you know in my last blog, I have been traveling quite a bit and obviously have not been in tune too much as to our surroundings.  Until now.

Earlier this month on March 4th, Golden Gate Estates Civic Association Board, in which I am Secretary on, voted on a letter to be sent to Representative Matt Hudson on behalf of House Bill #899.  I was unable to attend this meeting but it passed by a majority vote.

The letter concerns pretty much the whole merger. From the delivery areas, to the mill rate, right to the seats on the new Fire Commission.  Just about everything we touched base on all of last year wrapped up into one.

Oh, by the way, I had no idea about this letter until March 9th.  Hmmm….? So I’m curious to find out how this is going to go.

This is the Article attached to the letter stating the legality of the merger.  Article VII Section 2 of the Florida Constitution reads:
-All ad valorem taxation shall be at a uniform rate within each taxing unit, except the taxes on intangible personal property may be at different rates but shall never exceed two mills on the dollar of assessed value; provided, as to any obligations secured by mortgage, deed of trust, or other lien on real estate wherever located, an intangible tax of not more than two mills on the dollar may be levied by law to be in lieu of all other intangible assessments on such obligations.

So I will end it with just that.  I know Brent Batten wrote an article the other day about this but I have yet to read it.  NDN took my online subscription away this morning, damnit!  What’s up with that?  I have been blogging for them for over 6 years.  No fair I say!

But they are working on it thankfully.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire and Fury-AI to AI

Turkey Turds and Rainwater

Humble Beginnings