A Few Things…


There are so many different things going on, I just figured I might as well throw them down on one blog.
To start, the boy Marcos Aleman, who was shot and killed here in Golden Gate Estates a couple weeks ago.  I began a blog called, “Where’s your Kid?”, but have yet to finish because there were so many ways I could have approached it.  I found myself all over the place with it, so I didn’t finish.

On that blog, I couldn’t decide whether to say, hey, what’s going on with parents these days and why can’t you keep tabs on your kids?  Or, hey, when will we learn that these kids seriously need recreation other than carrying and selling pounds of pot just to have fun?  Or, shut up Annette, the likelihood of you with four boys and the statistics, it could easily happen to you.  So from all of those three approaches rambling in my head, I just decided to let that one go.

Yes, poor decisions made that night by these boys, but I am just thankful the one who killed Marcos was caught.  Meliton Cruz, Jr. I do believe will be tried as an adult.

My condolences go out greatly to all families.  Such a very tragic event.
Marcus
Rest in peace Marcos Aleman

Now the whole Golden Gate farmers market debacle.  Holy smokes!  That alone has my Estates Facebook site blown up into tons of comments.  Many people who felt the decisions amongst our county leaders was certainly the wrong one.  I could not agree with them more.  They had no right to even bring this up for a vote at the BCC meeting.   It took just three votes that closed a permitted and legal entity down that fast without knowing the repercussions that lay ahead.  All without public input.  Yet, turned around and offered public input after the fact?  Huh?

Thankfully, the county quoted that the temporary use ordinance and the temporary use permit did not contain a provision authorizing the county to suspend or terminate a temporary use permit for convenience.  So now it has been re-opened.


So what’s going on people?!   This county is making me very weary these past few months.  A Commissioner calling people gypsies, a soccer stadium being shoved down our throats here in the Estates, and then this. These types of poor decision making can cost the community a huge amount of  faith in our leaders. And mind you, they work for us.  Right?

Okay moving onto my last of the few items on my blog this morning.  All based on Common Core.  top 5 reasons parents hate common core
I hate common core because you know why?  Even I can’t do it!  This is what my sixth grader had for a question this past week.  I am great with numbers, and feel I have a pretty good head on my shoulders, but after a long day and then onto helping homework for my kids, it’s pure hell!  Especially when you get a question like this.

-The ratio of rock music to total CDs that Ella owns is 25/40. Paolo has 50 rock music CDs. The ratio of rock music to total CDs in his collection is equivalent to the ratio of rock music to total CDs in Ella’s collection. How many CDs do they own?

Now mind you, we had four answers to choose from, but I was never sure if I had the right one.  So I took it upon myself to post this question under my Facebook page,and my goodness, everyone totally got into it!  Here is the feed from my page.

Gail Germani Sell the CDs and buy an iPod
Thomas Corbett Is this one of your children’s homework ??
Samantha Navarro My brain just exploded
Gail Germani 120
Annette Kniola Mine too! And I totally agree Gail Germani, yes Thomas Corbett, it’s 6th grade math. And Samantha Navarro, I can’t take it anymore! It looks easy but it’s not. I have four choices but would rather wait to see if anyone can come up with an answer. I have an answer, I just don’t believe in myself! Lol!
Wendy Berg Why don’t they download their music? Lol!
Annette Kniola How? Oh, yeah, you have to explain.
Thomas Corbett I’m going to say 90….
Gail Germani Same ratio – so double the rock – which makes his total 80 / 80 plus the 40 =120
Rita Covert Lynch The total combined I believe would be 120.
Jocelyn Silano Jones Set up proportion. Ella/Paolo = Ella/Paolo. Cross multiply then divide.
Jocelyn Silano Jones I reread. It’s rock/total = rock/total.
Jocelyn Silano Jones 25/40 = 50/x. Answer is 80.
Gail Germani But how many do THEY own / gotta add
Jocelyn Silano Jones So she owns 40. He owns 80.
Linda Loeser Common core math sucks.. They are confusing everyone now… Lol
Annette Kniola The choices are 65,80,120,130. Gail Germani ,Jocelyn Silano Jones, and Rita Covert Lynch, Which is it?
Gail Germani 120 / they own total
Rita Covert Lynch I agree, 120
Annette Kniola-Jocelyn Silano Jones?
Shelly Bennett Watson The answer is….get rid of Common Core!!
Annette Kniola Yeah, I agree Shelly Bennett Watson. This problem has been nothing BUT my problem! I will give the teacher both choices from you ladies and we’ll see just what he’s going to do about it! Lol! Thank you everyone! I will submit 80 and 120 with both reasoning. Will get back to you with actual answer soon. Stay tuned!!
Annette Kniola I need a drink now.
Maryann Kniola Romanowski 120/ divide 25 by 40, ,and then divide by.625
Jocelyn Silano Jones It says how many do THEY have
Jocelyn Silano Jones Damnit. Anyway 40 + 80 = 120 total.
Annette Kniola Lol! There is a God! 120 it is! Wasn’t this fun? You are all so awesome! I was determined to answer it . Thank you!
Gail Germani Yeah ! I got it ! Numbers always come easy to me ! Just no geometry !!!!
Annette Kniola Yeah!! Go Gail Germani go!
Melannie Forhay Archie My answer is thank God my kids are out of school.
Annette Kniola I have 9 more years to go Melannie Forhay Archie! And by God, you all better be here for me too!
Melannie Forhay Archie   For you I cry….
Kimberley Ure Ellis  90
Kimberley Ure Ellis no wait…I didn’t read it correctly. Its 120….i think
Bonnie SmithJones  I’d go w 120 also
Greg Laura Pacter 31 CD’s…it is actually 31.25. My daughter did this question, and she is in 7nth Grade. She set it up as fractions, and then cross multiplied, and then divided 1250 by 40x. Love and math LP P.S. Please take this answer with a grain of salt.
Jennifer Buyze-East Brian got 120 also, before I read the choices. I was wondering what could possibly make up the other CDs with music genre?!
Annette Kniola I’m taking everything with a grain of salt the way I’m going Greg Laura Pacter.Lol!
Answer: 120 was correct!!
Teacher explanation: 25 rock cds to 40 total cds for Ella. 50 rock to n (unknown) total for paola. How do you get from 25 to 50 cds? (times 2), therefore we have to double Paola’s total to 80. 120 total CDs together. That is kind of how I explained it. We worked that concept multiple times in class. It was a good but challenging question for what we had learned in class.
  • -That’s all Folks! ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire and Fury-AI to AI

Turkey Turds and Rainwater

Humble Beginnings