Beary Beary Sad

Over the last few weeks and knowing this bear hunt vote was looming over our heads, it put me in a different place.  A place where I don’t care to be.

You all know I’m a big lover on animals as most are, but to have that Florida bear hunt vote pass yesterday just sickens me. And I will be posting some graphic pictures throughout my blog just to show you how sickening it really is.  We’ll start off with this one.

bear hung
How does this make you feel right now?

I am a realistic person and I clearly understand bears have grown in numbers over the years, but if we could have been a bit more pro-active in a stronger sense, this forthcoming bear hunt would not be happening.  Should not be happening.  I am so saddened by it.

Some may say we have been pro-active as to taking these bears and relocating them to different areas, but they just find their way back.  I understand it does not always work, but has the bears hurt anyone?  Is this new hunt our new way of being pro-active?  To kill some off before they do hurt someone?  Is this what we picture come October 24th?  Our own youth having a heyday with the new hunt?

Boy bear
Yep, this is exactly what it’s going to look like around here in Florida. Oh, I am sure they will feel real proud, huh?

I guess this area of Southwest Florida get a total of 80 to kill.  Boy, I can see those wretched hunters now. Today even.  Organizing their “kill list”, ready to seek out all necessary supplies before the hunt.  I’m sure Bass Pro and Dicks are getting excited.  Perfect place to protest too.  More than likely I just may be one of them.  Or I will be the crazy one hooting and hollering in the woods where hunters plan to hunt.  I’ll grab myself some friends and go out and terrorize those who come near one, spoiling their whole day.  All pissed off at me.  And you know what?  I don’t even care.  I don’t even care what they think, let alone who they think they are.  It’s simply does not seem right.

fwc

Heck,  maybe I’ll even go out of my way and set up protesting along the edges of the woods of where the hunts will take place.  Yep, for one week straight, we let them know who we are and how we feel.

Yes, there are two sides to this story, I know that.  Well, you just got a good idea of mine.  Now let’s think about our states story as to why they voted and passed this horrible hunt.

Simply put, there are too many bears and we have now encroached on their property. We humans have to take them out.  Growth is coming and they will become more concentrated in areas and will be deemed much too dangerous for society.  Similar to a comment from my Facebook as to deer hunting.  My friend Shannon wrote, “I’m all for hunting when it’s needed. Some states are so overrun with deer that it is not safe for either animals or humans. All the grass lands are gone, so there isn’t safe areas for birds, and small animals. Those animals leave to find safety. Then the deer end up not having enough food, the deer become diseased, becoming sick animals wandering around. No one wants that. With that said, I’m not sure that bear hunting is the right answer.I don’t know people who eat bear and I was honestly hoping they would find a better solution. (sigh). It’s sad.

So do we eat bear?  What comes of the bear once it is shot and killed?  Is it shot or do they use bow and arrows too?  I really don’t know and would like to know.  Someone needs to educate us on how this is going to go down. Have they posted the do’s and the don’t s yet?  The where’s and the when’s?  I do know October 24th is the date set for the kill of 320 bears statewide.  But is there an actual time set?  Like 7am-1pm?  Will the killings be near my house in the lot next door?  Or will they be terrorized in their protected area in the Picayune, Corkscrew, or anywhere for that matter?  What will they use for bait?  Hang chickens from trees?  Ties their dogs up?  Pile up a boatload of berries into one spot and wait it out?  God, this all makes me so sick.  There has got to be another way?

baby bear
What happens when a hunter comes across this? Will they be allowed to kill the mama?

Years ago on TV, I observed a lady up in a tree platform all excited.  I had no idea what the show was about, let alone what she was hunting.  I saw her pull back on her bow and shoot.  The camera moved to her target and it was a black bear.  I was immediately stunned as to what I just saw.  My heart cried for that bear.  I watched it spring up in agony with a crying roar, slowly spinning in lost directions, not knowing what just happened.  The camera peered back to the lady hunter as she hoots and hollers about what a great shot that was.  So sick I thought.  Where in God’s name do these people come from?  Where is their heart?  Their soul?  I cried and became numb the rest of the day.  How could she I thought?  How could she?

She bear
Who are you people? Is this how we raise our kids? Look at her face. So proud. If she only knew… :(

I feel like I’m in Wisconsin all over again and deer hunting is right around the corner.  I’ll admit, I went deer hunting one time with my 20-20 Winchester rifle. I did it just to do it.  I knew there was no way in hell I would kill a deer, let alone a doe with a fawn.  But I will say this, I almost shot my brother and dodged a bullet inches from my own head.  Surprised I’m still alive.  I vowed to never do that again.

So are we going to end up with human casualties?  Have they thought about that?
With that all said and done, I want to understand as to why?  Right now, there is simply not enough reasons why.  Just the other day they gave me a glimpse of hope saying the vote may not pass with more a possible approach as to relocating these bears.  But to where?  I say look at the US as a whole and find a place where they rarely exist. Where they can survive.

This is no different from the panthers.  You watch, they will be next on our list.  I and many others did interviews with Florida State College student Phillip Rodgers, and how we can become ahead of the game to the panthers here in Golden Gate Estates.  He is working very hard on his masters there at school and I see him as the name that will make a difference in our future of all wildlife.  Finding and working toward solutions.  I truly wish him the best of luck!

I will end it with this.  I just received an email this morning as to where you can email in your thoughts on this bear hunt.  Please, take a few moments and write . I would greatly appreciate it.

BearComments@myfwc.com


i-love-bears

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire and Fury-AI to AI

Turkey Turds and Rainwater

Humble Beginnings