Souls of Wonder ~ Souls of Life



Do you ever wonder what you're doing here and what your soul's purpose is?  Have you ever felt like there is no reason for you to be here any longer, and if so, why?

Last night I was informed with very sad news.  A young girl, 13 year old Alexa Walker, here in Naples, took her life. I remember her as a little girl when my nephew Tyler dated her Mom, Amanda.  That was almost 6 years ago.

I have not seen her since they parted ways, though I do remember this bright little sunshine that was full of life, along with her little sister, Abby. They were just little ones back then, and her name and her face sparked my interest last night after my page admin, Jennifer, posted it on our Estates Community Facebook page. I did not recognize Alexa right away, but then it hit me. I immediately called Tyler and my sister, Mary. 

What a tragic story. I am still in disbelief and yet knowing she left a suicide note makes my soul wonder more?

Part of the post written last night reads;


"She loved her family, and although the idea of having her own children one day never suited her, she's always said she would adopt Asian children. She loved kids. She always put others before herself. Even until the very end of her life, in the letter she left for her mom, she was more concerned about how everyone else was going to feel, rather than her own struggles. Her beautiful blue eyes, healthy heart, and bone marrow have been donated to children in need."

That is just so sad. What would drive a 13 year old girl to kill herself?  All day I have been thinking. Re-reading what was posted. Then I looked a bit deeper into the words written.  About Alexa's passions.  She had many, but this one stood out the most. Alexa loved the Japanese culture and was fixated on Japanese Anime.
 

Another small part of the post on behalf of Alexa; 

"She was a skilled artist and uniquely talented. She could draw the most beautiful Anime characters you've ever seen. In the past year or so, she discovered an infatuation with Japan and it's beautiful culture."

Now I am not blaming anyone for this, I want to make this clear, but I have been digging all day into Japanese cultures and these anime's.  Anime's are short for animation. There are many short stories and I came across 16, which concern suicide.

16 Anime That Tackle Suicide In Different Ways

Some of those short stories listed, are no laughing matter. Did you know that almost 22% of Japanese commit suicide!  That's unspeakable. Here in the US reads a little over 13% but surging this year due to the Coronavirus. I will be curious as to see what that data will be in the future.

Back to this sweet young lady, Alexa. Something was wrong, and it must have been so hard for her to express her feelings to have to take it this far. To actually do it. My God, our country needs help! This year our kids have been through hell trying to get through the school year cooped up at home, trying to understand online schooling, let alone, a social life almost completely swept away in a world we have yet to know the outcome. 

So please, if you do read this, my heart goes out to the family deeply, but please, talk to your kids. I myself have four boys ranging from 15 to 23, and this year has not been easy for them whatsoever. For all of us, for that matter. But I do have deep talks with each and every one of them, always. All I can do is keep and open ear, guide them, observe any changes, and ask them to always open up to me. Though I know, deep down, they hold alot back.
Thankfully, this past year, I did have two come to me, and we made some bold moves. Changes that gave them both a sense of relief and feelings of that downward slope, now ceased. They seem happier and I am blessed by that. Truly.

This world now is nothing like that wonderful world I grew up in. Where there were no phones, no texting, no emails, no stress on living up to everyone's expectations. Society now has this mentality that you must maintain a level of success and image or you FAIL! 

We need to change this. You need to change this. I need to change this.

2020, I know has been the worst for many, and I do pray it will get better. But I ask you to please, talk to your children. Talk to your friends. Talk to your family.

Be that Soul of Wonder and hold onto that Soul of Life. 💗

 

      Rest in Peace Alexa June Walker👼     

September 21, 2007 ~ December 15, 2020

 




Comments

  1. Thank you for your kind wishes, and for telling a bit of her story. Perhaps the cultural obsession could have made an impression. I like to think it went much deeper than that. My niece was highly intelligent, very pure-hearted, and there are personal life factors that likely played a bigger role than that. As her aunt who shared similar feelings and experiences that she had, myself and others should have done more.

    Nonetheless, thank you again for sharing her story a bit, Annette. It never ceases to amaze me to know how many lives she brought even just a hint of light to. (:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fire and Fury-AI to AI

Turkey Turds and Rainwater

Humble Beginnings