That Was Then,This Is Now




Life is full of phases. A phase when you are young, free, and full of hope. A phase when you get that reality check knowing you will soon become an adult and it's time to take things a bit more serious. A phase of a dream job, find that one true love, have a family and live happily ever after. If life doesn't go in that order, we soon find ourselves adding new phases.  I have since had to add one myself.

Growing up in Wisconsin was the best time of my life. I know we moved quite a bit growing up, but by the time I was 8, we settled in Rome, Wisconsin until the move to Naples in 1986. I was the youngest of 5. Scott, the oldest, now resides in Columbia City, Indiana. Gregg, in Cape Coral, Florida. Mary, here in Naples. Then Bruce in Fort Lauderdale. All of whom have families of their own and seem to be doing pretty good. 


The Woodrell's
I was four here, so it must have been 1972 in Voyager Village, Wisconsin.
 

My parents had all the phases. Together 50 some years until my dad passed away back in 2014 at the age of 80.  My Mom has since moved in with my sister recently, God bless her soul. Or should I say, God bless all of their souls. My sister Mary recently had to quit her job to take care of my Mom. Thank God for Mary! (My Mom favors her anyway, so it worked out just fine.😉 )



My family 2011






















2020

My folks had a good life from what I could see. Stayed together and grew old together. They moved me down here my senior year of high school which I did not find very appealing, but what choice did I have. I was the last child and it was time for them to head to Florida.  I stayed for 6 months, then thankfully went back home to graduate with my Nekoosa class of 1987. Happy I did. 


I do believe this is when I found out I was moving.  Not looking too happy.  Must have been 1985 or 1986





 Class of 1987!  Myself, Kathy, Angie, and Stacy
Nekoosa, Wisconsin

I didn't stay up there very long, realizing I was partying too much and decided it was best to move back to Naples a year later and start school. That was my reality check phase. I was 19 and it was time to grow up. 

I had already been on my own in Wisconsin, so I knew when I came back to Florida, the stay with my folks would be short and sweet. And it was. I starting a job at the Ritz Carlton, started school, rented a nice house in Naples Park, and was there for many years.
 

Then came true love. Dan was the most handsome man I ever saw. 😍 I met him there at work. He had recently graduated culinary school out of Ohio, did and intern at Williamsburg, and landed at the Ritz as a dining room cook under Executive Chef Doussan. I had just turned 21, he 24.  Four years later, we married, bought that house with the white picket fence, and had four beautiful sons together. Squeezed in a couple of moves as well.  


1990
2007

First move was to Aspen 1996, as he was offered the Executive Chef position there at the Ritz.  There we had our first son, Daniel. A year or more in, some lawsuit was dealt to the Ritz, and pretty much all Ritz employees faced finding new jobs. Dan was offered San Juan, Puerto Rico, but we had no intention of moving out of the country.

Daniel, our first son, was born with a cleft lip and palate, and the last place I was going was to San Juan. Too many surgeries lined up. We got lucky though. Dan landed a great job as Executive Chef at the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa.  Disney World, here we come! They moved us, gave all kinds of great welcoming gifts, along with park passes to no end. Life was great!  It was a good move, and we were happy to get back to Florida and be closer to our families. His family has since moved down here years ago.

There we had our second son Nickolas in 2000. Next thing you know, yet another great job opportunity came up. This time back home in Naples. It was a very enticing job and Dan grabbed it. It was with Stock Development and he has been with them ever since as their Executive Chef.  We thought it was going to be a big change from hotel life to country club, but not so. To this day, or any day for that matter, all chefs work ALOT!

We moved back into our home in Naples, which we had leased out those four years while we were gone. Had two more boys, Benjamin and Matthew. I was a stay at home Mom for those 18 years.  How could I not be?  Four boys?  What the hell were we thinking? Lol!😀  But overall, life was good to us. That phase I suppose would be considered
finding that one true love, have a family and live happily ever after.
 
So I thought...😢

We divorced after being together 25 years, and I soon realized, and why I write this blog, is because I've had to add a new phase to my life. A phase of being a single Mom 6 years now.  Not saying single is a bad thing, single can actually be a good thing. But here I sit writing to you, telling you all about it. But someday, this phase may pass, kids will grow up and move on. Knowing then, I start the last and final phase of my life.


My Boys!  Christmas 2019


Thinking back to our divorce, I felt I chose the right thing to do, but now, I have different thoughts. I will admit, I do live a lonely, yet very busy life. The kids don't need me as much anymore, though I still do focus on them as my priority. And I work alot when I can.  If not them or work, then it's the never ending projects in the house. I am preparing myself mentally now to sell within the next couple of years.  I need to downsize and focus on what my future phase may hold.  I'm sure it will be pretty damn good!😊


My song relating to this story. Burns into my heart each time I listen to it. 

Joni Mitchell - Both Sides, Now [Original Studio Version, 1969]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbn6a0AFfnM&feature=youtu.be 

Have a wonderful 2020!






Comments

  1. Great life story and it was great being on that Meet-up the past 2 nights please contact me at martinassociates@aol.com Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ken, I know we chatted after I wrote. Thank you for your comment. Hope you are doing well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fire and Fury-AI to AI

Turkey Turds and Rainwater

Humble Beginnings