A Big Fat "D"

D is for Disappointment
D is for Dumbfounded
D is for Depressing
D is for Despicable
D is for Dismal

I could go on, but I will stop there.  I think you can understand the D's due to the fact two of my boys will be entering a D school this year. When I first moved out here in The Estates, it was an A school.  And since then, many Collier schools have continued to decline.  I call that a bunch of phony boloney and I request the Department of Education to come and kiss my rubber duck! 

These grade are nothing but a farce.  All based on that damn FCAT I so ever disagreed with, raising the standards way too high, and placing too much stress on all of our teachers and the kids.  Sometimes I felt like I sent my kids to school just so they learn how to test, not getting the real education they need. But I know that wasn't true.  At least I hope it wasn't true.

And the poor teachers, what a blow for them.  Such an embarrassment they may feel walking into class this year, pretending to be proud, trying to stay positive for the sake of the kids, but really feeling failure.  But if any of you teachers out there are reading this.  You are not a failure.  I know for a fact all of the school here in the Estates do an outstanding job and take pride in everything they do.  Sabal Palm is my D school this year, and we have since had Mrs. Lettiere brought in, an A plus Principal I might add.  The education my kids have received has been outstanding and I thank you.  I will walk into your school this year and feel proud to be a Sabal Palm Mom!

And if you haven't noticed, most of the schools that are in town have completely different demographics. Demographics that give them a better edge at achieving such good grades. And they get the money as an incentive for that grade.  Has the state ever thought about reversing that whole concept and possibly giving the poor graded schools this money?  Maybe they are the ones who really need it.

Take example the demographics of The Estates schools versus a majority of town.  In town, you will see a mostly white and less needy.  And in a recent discussion on a Facebook, I wrote, "I just read this post and hate to rain on your parade, but I think this post does not benefit anyone. Your sentence as to dedicated students, parents, teachers, and Principals/Vice Principals who have NOT failed their schools is really uncalled for. We too have hard working students, teachers, parents, and excellent Principals/Vice Principals that have NOT failed their schools. It's all about the demographics. Just compare the demographics of needy, Hispanics, and whites. Just the Estates alone can range 50-70% higher in those categories. I know you mean well, but this hit a nerve."

With those numbers, it's just a fact we have a high rate of needy and Hispanics.  And that's okay.  But what is tough, a majority of these kids speak Spanish at home, giving the teachers a much harder job to provide them a good strong education.  It takes much more time and energy on the teachers. Something we all have to accept.

And by no means, in my opinion, did any of this have to do with Superintendent Kamela Pattons principal shuffle.  I agreed with that whole-hardheartedly 100%, and will stand by any move she makes.

So I will finish on a positive note on what Sabal Palm's D really stands for.

D is for Dynamic
D is for Deserving
D is for Dependable     
D is for Distinctive
D is for Dependable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire and Fury-AI to AI

Turkey Turds and Rainwater

Humble Beginnings