Crazy Days and Mondays

This past week had been crazy!  And since today is Monday, I thought the title was perfect.

To begin, I will say one word.  Rain.  And lot's of it!  Recently I received a message on my Estates Community Facebook page of one family's drainage situation.  And they are not too happy about it.  The family lives off of 43rd Ave NE, off Everglades Blvd.  Apparently the water in the ditches were draining into Everglades Blvd rather than into the canal.  On their behalf, I contacted Mike Stone who is the Road and Bridge Maintenance Supervisor for our area.  He was kind enough to go out and take a look.  The answer the family received was that all was normal, even as other streets remained dry. Not what they expected to hear.  Unfortunately, this family plans on moving into town in two years once their child graduates. 

In the meantime, others have since posted comments in reference to the rain.

"Yes! We live off of 35th Ave NE. The ditches are full & everyone's yard has a small lake in it. The water doesn't seem to be flowing anywhere...just stagnant."

"54th avenue NE is the same.... the water flows toward Everglades Blvd and pools in people's yards."

"The properties off 31st Ave NE off Desoto are full of water."

There were more, but then I got this one.

"Good Morning everyone, with all the high water I just want to let everyone know they need to be on the lookout for alligators coming into the swales from the canals. We had 2, possibly 3, 3 to 4 footers in our swale last night on 58th Ave NE. There is no sign of them today but they can move a lot when they are on the hunt for food. No need to panic just be aware especially when you are walking your dogs."

Yikes!! 

Ironically the same day, Kelly Farrell from NDN has contacted me and wants to do a story on storm water management.  Will be looking forward to reading that.

The next crazy day, yet sad situation that occurred, was a dead dog laying on the side of the road off Randall, near Immokalee Road.  I was messaged on my Facebook site about that too. Since I was headed into town that morning, I told the lady I would take a look.  Sure enough, there was a medium sized white pit bull laying there dead, surrounded by vultures galore.  Made me sick.  I called animal control and they said it had already been called in, but they could not get anyone to come because they were short staffed.

Really?  I find that ridiculous.  I couldn't imagine if this dog was laying on 5th Ave!  Gee, would it still be laying there?  I think not.

On my way back home, hours later, sure enough, the dog was still there.  It was pouring rain at the time, but I didn't care, I had to pull over and pick him up myself.  Giving the dog some dignity.  Thankfully another lady, frying pans and all, stopped to help me.  She brought the frying pans to scare off the buzzards. The dog was definitely hit by a car with a head injury.  I brought him home to my house and animal control picked him up later that night.

Next up, an opossum and her babies.  It never fails, but it seems many animals, panthers and all, tend to find their path to me.  Seems mostly a path of death, but at least I try to make sure they get the best of their last days on earth.

So I was driving home from my sisters the other night, who lives just down the street from me, and I came across an opossum that was just hit and was clearly suffering in the middle of the road. Of course I stopped. Who wouldn't?

Immediately I was sickened by the sight.  There she was, laying there, an obvious broken leg as two of her newborn babies lay next to her.  One was already dead, the other alive.  I figured there were more in her pouch but she was very ready to bite my hand off. (Go to my Facebook page and look at Saturday's post.  I videotaped her in my garage)

I bravely picked her up by tail and laid her gently in the back of my van.  I ran back and grabbed the two babies and brought them all home.  I made the best bed for her as I could and laid the living baby next to her to calm her.  Which it did.  I called the Conservancy, but since it was so late at night, they were not open again until 8am.  Unfortunately the opossum died overnight taking three more little souls with her.  They were inside her pouch.

The one baby I had placed beside her did survive, but just until last night.  I did my best to nurse him with some formula and syringe, but he was much too small.

Farewell little ones.  I pray this next week is much drier, brighter, and the living can go on living.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire and Fury-AI to AI

Turkey Turds and Rainwater

Humble Beginnings